Saturday, July 16, 2011
1. materials: approximately 2 meters of chiffon or crepe fabric and 19 mm elastic.
2. Fold the fabric in half and sew the sides together.
3. Turn the fabric inside out and fold the top of the fabric 5 inches outwards. Pin accordingly.
4. Sew all around with a 1 inch hem on the fold.
5. Measure approximately 19 mm below the top stitching then sew all around; but, leaving a 2 inch opening for the insert of the elastic.
6. Insert the elastic in the opening and pull it all the way through until it comes out on the other end (tip: use a safety pin for assistance).
7. Scrunch the fabric evenly by tightening the elastic to create your desired waistband.
8. Cut off any excess elastic. Overlap the ends of the elastic and sew them together.
9. Close and sew the 2 inch opening that was used to insert the elastic.
10. Sew a 6 mm hem for the bottom of the skirt.
And voila! This is how I DIYed my own sheer maxi skirt. Just pair it with a black bodycon dress or skirt! I will do another post later on how I made my own tassel belt so stay tuned :)
Happy Summer everyone!